Friday, December 5, 2008

2008

It is coming to that time of year again when we start to reflect over the last 365 days and plan for the next year to come...2009. I can't believe it has almost been a decade since we sat celebrating in, my friend, Greg's garage counting down to 2000! We sat there blowing our streamers, wearing silly hats, and a little freaked out that jets just might fall out of the sky, or the world systems would cease to function properly, as well as secretly hoping, that at least, all our debts would be "wiped clean"! However, here we are. Life just goes on. Since 2000, I have worked at 5 different places, bought our first home, bought new cars. Three new family members have been added, I have lost three children of my own, been on many vacations, paid off all our debt, occurred more debt, 9/11, the war, family issues, health scares, family moving, new friends, marriages, funerals, well, the list goes on and on. But, this year, 2008, has been a defining year for me. This was the year I have put myself "out there". Learned to live again. This is the year I fell in love with my husband all over again, almost every day. The year that I learned how to forgive my dad, and allow the Lord to rekindle our relationship. I remembered how to love people. To be myself, to be comfortable in my own skin. To smell the air, to enjoy feeling the warmth of a sunrise, and the ambiance of a sunset. 2008 brought some sadness, loved one's passed. Illnesses came and went. But all in all 2008 brought real growth. Growth to my soul, to my family, to potential. I saw my brother and sister grow as well. My brother and his wife have fallen into such a deep love, and have learned to be even better parents. My sister and her husband have gotten through the first couple years of marriage, which is hard, and have become closer. My nieces and nephews have all grown so much. Amazing to see them learn new things and blossom into a little person of their own. I get a little sad to see them growing up so quickly, I understand now why my grandma's always said, "Don't grow up too fast". I always thought it was because they had some sort of secret grown-up fun which only made me want to grow up even faster! In 2008 I watched my mother remember who she truly is inside, and follow her dreams, make new friends, and enjoy life. I experienced so many wonderful things. Personally, I have been more than blessed. I got involved in a new church, and now am writing the Adult Small Group Ministry Lessons. Plus I greet and usher. Me! Crazy! I have been blessed with new friendships through the church, and have matured in my walk with Christ. I also have joined Roller Derby. My body is very upset with this, but my spirit is excited. I haven't been part of a real team in so long. This last year, I have reconnected with old friends and through them, reconnected with myself. I remembered how to gently take care of myself. Blessing run deep! This next year, I will be 35 years old. I can hardly believe it! I am so excited to see what 2009 holds. My life has become real. Real. I am finally, really living, after so long of holding my breath and going through the motions. I am alive in 2009! :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment